Alternatives Assessment Library
This is a listing of publicly available alternatives assessments (AA) and AA-related guidance documents (organized by date, from most recent to oldest).
If you are aware of other AAs that you would like to suggest should be included, please contact us.
- OECD Substitution and Alternatives Assessment Toolbox
- The Massachusetts Toxics Use Reduction Institute (TURI) has produced (or is working on) several AAs, including:
- Integrating Life Cycle Considerations in Alternatives Assessment Processes Discussion Paper
- New York State Pollution Prevention Institute (NYSP2I) Case Studies: Decision Making in Alternatives Assessment
- BizNGO: Alternatives to Methylene Chloride in Paint and Varnish Strippers: Availability of Safer Alternatives & Requirements for Meeting Stage 1 of the California Safer Consumer Products Regulations, October 2015
- California Safer Consumer Products (SCP) program Draft Stage 1 Alternatives Analysis Guide
- The International Electronics Manufacturing Initiative (iNEMI). Alternative Material Assessment Project Report. August 2015.
- National Research Council. A Framework to Guide Selection of Chemical Alternatives. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2014.
- The EPA's Design for the Environment (DfE) Alternatives Assessment Program has produced (or is working on) AAs for a number of chemical-functional use combinations, including:
- Preventing Toxic Exposures: Workplace Lessons in Safer Alternatives, July 2010
- Washington State Lead Chemical Action Plan (CAP), Washington Department of Ecology and Department of Health, September 2009
- Children's Safe Products Act (CSPA) Report, Washington Department of Ecology, July 2009
- Washington State Children's Safe Products Act, Reporting Rule Documents & Correspondence
- Markkanen P, Quinn M, Galligan C, Bello A. Cleaning in the Healthcare Industry: reducing human health effects and environmental impacts, April 2009
- Alternatives to Deca-BDE in Televisions and Computers and Residential Upholstered Furniture, Washington Department of Ecology and Department of Health, December 2008
- Quinn MM, Fuller TP, Bello A, Galligan C, Pollution Prevention-Occupational Health and Safety in Hospitals: Alternatives and Interventions, Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene 3:182-193, 2006
- An Overview of Alternatives to Tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA) and Hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD), Gregory Morose, March, 2006
- Washington State Polybrominated Diphenyl Ether (PBDE) Chemical Action Plan: Final Plan, Washington Department of Ecology and Department of Health, January 2006
- Decabromodiphenylether: An Investigation of Non-Halogen Substitutes in Electronic Enclosure and Textile Applications, prepared by Pure Strategies for the Lowell Center for Sustainable Production, April, 2005
- An Investigation of Alternatives to Miniature Batteries Containing Mercury, Catherine Galligan and Gregory Morose, prepared for the Maine Department of Environmental Protection, December 2004
- An Investigation of Alternatives to Mercury-Containing Products, Catherine Galligan, Greg Morose, and Jim Giordani, prepared for the Maine Department of Environmental Protection, January 2003
- Washington State Mercury Chemical Action Plan, Washington Department of Ecology and Department of Health, January 2003
- The Use of Di-2-Ethylhexyl-Phthalate in PVC Medical Devices: Exposure, Toxicity and Alternatives, Joel Tickner, Lowell Center for Sustainable Production, 1999
- Intergovernmental Forum on Chemical Safety, Substitution and Alternatives Case Studies, Examples and Tools developed by the Lowell Center for Sustainable Product Chemicals Policy and Science Initiative